Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Laura Sullivan


Oh my gosh, the exitement I'm feeling right now is so overwhelming. Yesterday, I went to Red Bluff(where I grew up & my parents live) for my sister in law's opening for her in home jewelry & accessory show. I ran into a friend of her mom's who knows a previous piano teacher that I studied with, Laura Sullivan. I've been wondering for the last 17 years where she is, how she is, what's she doing. She only taught me for a couple years I think but she impacted my life in so many ways. She was so beautiful and graceful. I could talk to her about anything. She played the piano with the most gentle hands you've ever seen but the sound that she could create on that piano would mesmerize me. She was the first person to really make me feel passionate about my playing. And, she is the one who introduced my & my parents to Dr. Robert Bowman at Chico State and for that alone I'll always be grateful. I'm really rambling but I can't believe that I finally found out about her. She's now a new age recording artist. She lives in the Bay Area. I couldn't find her because she has since remarried and Sullivan is her married name, which it wasn't when I knew her. Last night I got home from Red Bluff and immediately got online to research her more. I found her albums on iTunes which of course I bought. But, the amazing thing was that there is a UTube of her playing, a video I guess. I watched it over and over and over and cried like I haven't cried since my grandma died. All I could think about was how much I want to be like her. It was just like when I was 12 years old again. I really want to try to contact her but a huge part of me feels so ashamed of how I've turned out. I should have followed the path I was on musically. It's what I've always loved. I miss it soooo much it makes me sick. I love teaching and enjoy playing when I can at church but it's nothing compared to the way I used to feel when I would perform in a auditorium. I remember one time performing a duet with another girl. There was this asian boy that always was the showstopper. Vienna and I (she's the girl) would work so hard and give a great performance but inevitably this boy would perform last and outshine us. But this one time, Vienna and in played together, Rhapsody in Dminor by Ralph Federer. I truly became one with the music. It took over my whole body and I lost myself in it. I remember the beginning and then I blacked out. I came back to reality when Vienna and I were bowing before a standing ovation. So, I really want to take lessons again but I'm not a driven person. Maybe it's because I'm a yellow. But I really lack follow through in my life. Everything I've dreamt of in my life I've given up on. I feel like I've settled in a way. It's not my family. I love Bruce and my kids and that part of my life I wouldn't trade. But on a deeper, more personal level I feel like I sold out.

So, I figured out how to get music on my blog finally. I purposely put Alicia Keys, Superwoman and Sugarland, Settlin' as my 1st & 2nd song on my playlist. These are officially my new theme songs. In my Live, Laugh, Love club this month our theme is Dreams. I need to start going after mine. Even if it is a very slow journey it's what I need to do for me.

Now, if you've actually read this whole post...(which means you're a true friend) please check out
www.Laura-Sullivan.com or just google her name and it's the first thing up. You'll love her!!!

No comments: