Monday, August 11, 2008

Family Matters Most

Just want to vent for one minute. If you ever have family in need, please make yourself available to help. I can say that 2 of the most meaningful and Christ-like experiences of my life were helping my sister care for my Grandma Boone right before she died and helping to care for my Grandpa with Alzheimer's last weekend. I didn't enjoy it. I was bored out of my mind. I felt brokenhearted to see someone I love wilting away. But I know it was the right thing to buck up and do it. There are so many reasons to stay away, some may even be fairly valid. But think for a moment about when the day comes that you can't shower yourself or go to the bathroom alone or wipe yourself...etc. How would you feel if your family said they didn't have the time or couldn't pay the gas money to drive over? After all that you spent your lifetime giving to your family could you imagine how hurtful it would be to be put off in your last years of need? As I sit here, I really hope that all the old people in the world could have people that love them, with them and caring for them. They don't deserve to be ignored. For me, Family Matters Most. Period.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for the reminder Tanja. You're such a great person, and grandpa is lucky to have you!

ash and jay said...

I have been thinking about this topic sooooo much lately! I just took on the responsibility of taking care of my grandma once a week. I'm trying really hard to not see it as a burden.

I really hope that I raise my kids right so that they will wanna take care of me when I'm old and wearing daipers! Haha

Ashlee said...

I'm sure it was a great experience, however, not easy, for you and something you will never forget. Grandpa and Grandma are lucky to have you guys.

Dawn said...

Hello Tanja, Uncle Charlie here. I read your blog and I can appreciate what your feeling. As you know I am now spending a couple of nights a week with my dad and mom and I find it a very humbling experience, not only for me but I'm sure for my dad also. I can only imagine what it must be like to have your son, daughter or grandchild wiping your bottom, changing your diaper and bathing you. But let me tell you, the joy and love I feel taking care of them is overwhelming. There's no better feeling of love than that of service. I can take care of my parents the way they did for me when I was a child and that is an amazing feeling. It may seem like a huge effort and a lot of time twice a week to come take care of him , but the reward far outweighs the rest. - Charlie

Martha & Kevin said...

You're right. And may I just put in a reservation right now for you to care for me and Kevin? My Mom always told me that she worried about who was going to take care of me when I got old. Even as she was slipping away from me, she would still pull that one out. So just know that your care and love is appreciated by all!